My first contemporary design was completed this morning and I am very pleased with the outcome. It was completed very quickly as only a few lines needed to be stitched, along with a couple needing to be unpicked and restitched. I chose to incorporate more thread work to reduce the level of bedazzlement, but as I looked at my design finished I am glad I used the sequins in the way that I did. The sheer fabric also compliments this design well due to the large amount of negative space and gaps within the embellishment which will transfer well to a drape. Ideally I hope to repeat this pattern on photoshop and play with scale when placing it on a garment/ the mannequin.
After my design was completed Jess, Freya and myself went to another fabric store for some more sourcing. This store had an incredible range of Ikat fabric and it was unbelievably cheap. I spent around 40 dollars Australian and got around 9m of some amazing fabric and a throw for my bed. The fabric I bought today won’t be used in my embroideries but would be perfect for Men’s wear in third year and I would love to make something non-uni related for myself.
I also began developing my next design to hopefully be started tomorrow afternoon sometime. I was inspired by an imagine I saw on Freya’s Pinterest which created a shape using negative space and embroidery around the outside. I played with this concept using a simple shell shape and the use of either beads or French Knots around the outside as the technique. I chose to only do a reasonably small design as it is just a sample and on a garment I would most likely repeat this technique as a pattern.